Saturday, August 14, 2010

Let the Journey Begin

I have had it.  The TV has taken over my family's life.  I let it happen.  It is just so easy to let the TV entertain, teach, babysit my kids AND my husband, so that I can get stuff done.  A whole day can pass by, and I realize, all my kids have done today is watch TV and sit on their behinds (oh and eat).  It makes me sad, guilty, uncomfortable, and mad.  I LET THIS HAPPEN!  I have got to take control. 

My son is 5 years old and my daughter is 2.  I am thirty...something, and my hub is over 40.  We are the average family of today.  We are addicted to TV.  We have one in almost every room of the house and usually all of them are on at the same time.  It is not unusual for the TV to be on in one room all day without someone even in that room!  Constant noise all the time.  It's on while we eat dinner (the big no-no), play, read, get ready, and sometimes while we sleep.  Plus, we are a family of yellers.  We yell about everything.  Typically, it's "turn that TV down; it's too loud; you're gonna go deaf!"

This past week, my son started Kindergarten.  It was scary and exciting.  The first day, his teacher mentioned that he had some issues with screaming in the class and at her.  I was mortified.  I don't want my kid labeled as a trouble maker this early!  The permanent record start in Kindergarten, you know! 

This summer my daughter has really started to talk and sing.  It is adorable!  But, it dawned on me that all the songs that she loves to sing are the theme songs from all the cartoons she watches!  She can sing "Max and Ruby," "Dora," "Diego" "Clifford."  These are her friends.

So, I have declared enough is enough.  I am at war with the TV (and other types of media--computer, ipod, email, facebook) that keep my family from interacting and chatting at a decent volume.  I don't think my husband is too keen on the idea, but I have got to save us.

The first thing that I did was get him to remove the TV from the kitchen.  The tempting siren is gone.  The first thing my daughter says this morning is "where TV?  I watch Clippord"  Sigh.  The next thing I did was establish a "TV Dollar" system with my kids.  They can earn a TV dollar for chores, having a great day at school, etc, etc.  One TV dollar equals 30 minutes of TV.  My son is getting into it.  He is trying to come up with all kinds of ways to earn a TV dollar. 

I have already noticed some benefits.  My son has to think carefully and choose wisely what he will spend a TV dollar on.  He has to pay attention and weigh the pros and cons.  My husband, on the other hand, is having a tough time.  Last night, I was working to get my kids to help clean up their rooms and the kitchen area.  My daughter, being two, is not quite ready to stay on task for very long.  She kept wanting to watch "Spongebob Christmas."  I had to stop my husband a couple of times from letting her watch it until a TV dollar had been earned.  "What's the big deal?  She just wants to watch a video!" he said.  Well, we have to do this together!  It starts now.  If we say we are going to do it this way, then we have to follow through.  That's what all the parenting books say, right?  Well, after much prodding, pleading, and a little threatening, the chores were accomplished and TV dollar was earned.  I don't know if I am doing the right thing by rewarding them with TV, but I just don't know what else to do to keep the TV under control.

Last night the kids and I wrapped a birthday present together and wrote out the card instead of watching TV.  This morning during breakfast I read books with my daughter instead of TV.  These were special moments. 

The big test is coming.  We have only been at this for two days.  Can we commit?  Can we make it a whole week.  I've got to focus on special moments.  My family is worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment