Saturday, August 21, 2010

Top Ten Things We Did This Week Instead Of Watching TV

In honor of surviving our first full week of our new low TV lifestyle, I have concocted a top ten list of the things we have done with the kids this week instead of watching TV.


10. Made muffins at 6:00 am. This was the morning both children were up around 5:00 am and refused to go back to sleep. We soldiered through it, but I don’t recommend it to any one. Cutting TV as an option on a morning like this is not for the faint at heart.

STRIKE!
9. Played Wii sports. I know, I know. It’s a video game, BUT we all played it together as a family, AND I kicked all of their butts in bowling.

8. Went to the playground at Bubba’s school. He got to show off all the things he can do now on the equipment and Sassy surprised us by scaling the climbing wall. She was like Spider-man.

7. Set up the sprinkler in the back yard. On the afternoon that it isn’t raining, the kids wanted to go outside and get wet. Go figure.

mmmmmmmmmm.
6. Bubba went to Mommy and Daddy’s work and got to eat lunch at our cafeteria. The hub and I both teach at the same college. Our son said that our cafeteria food was better than his cafeteria food. Not possible.

5. Played pretend a lot! We had pretend picnics, pretend tea parties, and pretend school. Sassy and Bubba took turns playing teacher. It was amusing to see their interpretations of their teachers. It’s a lot nicer than their impersonations of me!

4. Read a lot of books. Mommy has a lot of funny voices.

3. Finger-painted in the bathtub. They make this kids soap that works like finger paints. The kids love it, and there is virtually no clean up! Plus, they have been learning about mixing colors. Sassy also learned about human anatomy. Bubba has something that she doesn’t. Time for separate baths!

2. Acted out many of their favorite TV shows. When Bubba and Sassy needed a fix or missed some of their old friends, we would act out an episode. Bubba especially loves playing Max and Ruby. For me, I don’t even have to act when I play Ruby. I am Ruby. I try to control everything, and it never goes quite as I want!

1. Played with a cardboard box. Yep. Bubba’s favorite toy this week was an old cardboard box. The box was first a robot costume. This lasted for quite a while. Then the box was an ATM that distributed TV dollars. Then the box was the self checkout machine at the grocery store. Then the box was a rocket ship. Then it was a bed. Finally, it was a house. I know what one lucky boy is getting for Christmas this year!

3 comments:

  1. Having been to where you work and eaten meals there consistently for a period of months at a time, I'm going to totally agree with the last sentence of your number 6 :).

    Also I admire you, and wish you all the best on this venture. If I was half as strong as you, I would probably try it out too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always thought the food was pretty good there - granted, that was 11 years ago. (OMG, eleven years???)

    ReplyDelete