Monday, August 23, 2010

Sunday, Bloody, Sunday

Okay. Confession time. Yesterday was a set back. It was Book Club day at my house. I really love Book Club day. My friends and I get together about once a month at someone’s house, we eat yummy food, we drink yummy beverages, we talk about what’s going on in our families and work, and oh yeah, we talk a little about the book we read. I had a lot to do to get our house ready for Book Club.


The morning started out unlike any Sunday morning we have had. To give you the back story, Sassy figured out how to climb out of her crib. For many nights this past week, I have been jarred from sleep by a pounding on the door and a little voice shouting, “Heeeey. It’s me! Sassy!” I don’t even hear her getting out of the crib! She is like a stealth ninja! One night, I had left her door and my door ajar, and around 3:30 am I was startled by a little figure right next to me. It was like she appeared out of nowhere! CREEPY! In a Pet Semetary or Omen kinda creepy. So, Hubby and I decided to convert her crib to the toddler bed because we did not want her hurting herself in the middle of the night. Sassy is enjoying her new freedom. Now she can pound on her door several times in the night. Needless to say, this has caused some early mornings and a very sleepy, grumpy Mommy.

Back to Sunday. The morning began around 5 am. Sassy ended up in our bed around 4 am, and Bubba woke up shortly thereafter. Bubba can earn a TV dollar if he stays in his own bed all night, so technically, he achieved this goal. A TV dollar was distributed, and the kids watched Rugrats while Mommy came up with some breakfast. I was feeling pretty guilty because it wasn’t even 6 am, and I had already caved! Hubby got up, and we just looked at each other. The thirty minutes of TV time was up, and our rug rats came bounding up the stairs. I made the on the spot decision of our family attending the 8:30 am worship service at our church. This is something we had never done. We are 11:00 am service people, but I figured we would give it a chance. We got ready. Getting the kids ready is usually a long process that involves prodding, cajoling, begging, bribing, threatening, and all manner of other actions. So, the early morning flew by. We got to church, Bubba went to his first children’s choir rehearsal and after the service it was Sunday school time. Things were looking up!

After we got home, Bubba reminded us that he had earned another TV dollar because he was a good boy during church. Filled with the spirit, I agreed. So, another thirty minutes of TV pleasure was consumed. I made their lunch, and started getting the house ready for the Club. Bubba was excited about Book Club. Actually, he was excited about the food we were having at Book Club. I had ordered caramel cupcakes and a chocolate meringue pie from our local bakery (Blackbird Bakery in Bristol, VA—I highly recommend it to all!), and Bubba was licking his lips. While I worked to get Sassy down for her nap (and it is work! She fights it tooth and nail), Hubba and Bubba start helping me clean up the house. Another TV dollar was handed out because our son did such a great job at helping. Then a cycle really began. Bubba would watch his thirty minutes, and then head back upstairs and offer to help me some more. Well, you can imagine what kind of help a 5 year old can be! I let him dry some dishes for me, and then sent him downstairs. Next, I let him vacuum a little, and then sent him downstairs. He started giggling that he was getting to watch TV all day. I tried to justify that he was EARNING the TV because he was helping Mommy so much, but the kid had it figured out.

When Book Club started, Hubby was going to take the kids out for the afternoon. Sassy was up from her nap and ready to get out of the house. She is not a people person. She squinted at all my friends and hid her face in Daddy’s shoulder. Bubba, on the other hand, did not want to leave. He wanted to stay and help Mommy with Book Club (and eat lots of yummy food). To avoid a tantrum, I let him stay. Hubby and Sassy set off, and my son and I hosted the Club. He actually wasn’t too bad, but he was starting to get pretty antsy. He had eaten his fill of the food, and was really getting under foot. So, what did I do? I claimed that he had earned ANOTHER TV dollar because he had been such a good boy with my friends. He slyly smiled and trotted back downstairs for more Rugrats. Then, I lost track of time, and he wasn’t about to remind me.

After Book Club ended, the TV remained on until bath time. It was like old times. When the kids got up way too early this morning my son headed straight for the TV. We had to start all over again! He threw a small tantrum when I wouldn’t let him watch it, but he was soon distracted with getting ready for school.

So, the uphill journey begins again. I am Sisyphus, and the TV is my rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment